The gates to Twin Buttes Reservoir, including Marina Park, will be locked July 3-5, making it unavailable for igniting fireworks. Last year, despite having dumpsters readily available throughout the park, revelers left the city park by the lake littered with spent fireworks debris. After dark on the 4th of July last year, there was a dumpster fire in the park as well. The city said the closing of Twin Buttes recreation areas is a result of last year's problems.
Fireworks Illegal Within City Limits
Possessing or using fireworks within 5,000 feet of and inside the San Angelo city limits is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by a maximum fine of $2,000.
Fire Marshal Ross Coleman advises the safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a display by a licensed pyrotechnic operator. The City of San Angelo co-sponsors a free display during the San Angelo Symphony’s July 3 Pops concert Friday night at the Bill Aylor Sr. Memorial RiverStage, 16 E. Avenue A. The Lake Nasworthy Homeowner's Association plans a large fireworks demonstration at the lake sponsored by Time Clock Plus. There will be a smaller fireworks demonstration at Foster Field.
For families who purchase and ignite fireworks outside the restricted zone as part of their Independence Day celebration, Coleman urges they adhere to the following safety tips:
- Always read and follow label directions.
- Have an adult present.
- Buy from reliable sellers.
- Use outdoors only.
- Always have water – a garden hose and a bucket – on hand.
- Never experiment or make your own fireworks.
- Light only one firework at a time.
- Never re-light a “dud” firework. Wait 15-20 minutes, then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Never give fireworks to children.
- If you must store fireworks, do so in a cool dry place.
- Dispose of fireworks properly by soaking them in water, then disposing of them in your trashcan. Leaving used, discarded fireworks on the ground is littering.
- Never throw or point fireworks at other people.
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
- Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers.
- The shooter should always wear eye protection and never have any part of the body over the firework.
- Stay away from illegal explosives.