DPS Releases Details About the Andrews Band Bus Crash and IDs 3 Who Were Killed


BIG SPRING, TX — The Texas DPS released the preliminary crash report about the tragic crash of the Andrews High School Band bus. There were three vehicles involved in the crash, 13 were injured, and three killed. The Andrews High School Band Director was killed and his wife was injured during the crash.

According to the report, Nathan Paul Haile, 59, of Midland, was traveling westbound driving a Ford F-350 in the eastbound lanes of I-20 for unknown reasons. The driver of the F-350 died after striking two buses traveling eastbound in the eastbound lanes. DPS Trooper Justin Baker, spokesman for the DPS, said the F-350 first struck a 2005 Motor Coach Industries Bus carrying the Andrews Marching Band in the outside lane head-on. The F-350 then hit the 2018 Freightliner Bus before the Ford burst into flames. Both of the buses were carrying Andrews students. There was a third Andrews ISD bus in the caravan that was not involved.

DPS determined that Haile was not wearing a seatbelt. He was pronounced dead at the scene by Howard County Justice of the Peace Judge Kelly Seales.

Also killed were the driver of the 2005 Motor Coach Industries Bus, Marc Elbert Boswell, 69, of Andrews. He was airlifted to a Lubbock hospital and later died. He was declared deceased by Dr. Theophilus Pham at University Medical Center. Darin Kimbrogh Johns, 53, of Andrews, who was also identified as the band director of the Andrews High School Band, died at the scene. His wife, Karen Gatny Johns, also 53 and from Andrews, was injured and transported to the Scenic Mountain Medical Center in Big Spring.

There were 25 juvenile band members on the bus. Of them, 12 were uninjured, 11 were rushed to the Big Spring hospital, and two students were airlifted to the University Medical Center in Lubbock with incapacitating injuries. Baker said they were in critical condition but stable as of late Friday night.

The crash happened 4:02 p.m. about two miles east of Big Spring on I-20. From other reports we know the buses were carrying students, the band, cheerleaders, and football team to the UIL playoff football game in Sweetwater. The game was canceled after news of the tragedy reached officials.

Baker said Saturday afternoon that investigators have not determined if the deceased driver of the F-350 was driving while impaired. “The DPS District 4A Cash Team is still investigating,” he said.

DPS stated the roadway was dry and skies were clear. DPS Trooper Jon Shock of the Odessa office led the investigation and was assisted by the DPS 4A District Crash Team, Big Spring Police Department, Big Spring Fire Department, and the Howard County Sheriff’s Office.

Subscribe to the LIVE! Daily

The LIVE! Daily is the "newspaper to your email" for San Angelo. Each content-packed edition has weather, the popular Top of the Email opinion and rumor mill column, news around the state of Texas, news around west Texas, the latest news stories from San Angelo LIVE!, events, and the most recent obituaries. The bottom of the email contains the most recent rants and comments. The LIVE! daily is emailed 5 days per week. On Sundays, subscribers receive the West Texas Real Estate LIVE! email.


Most Recent Videos

Post a comment to this article here:

X Close