Stephens Arena Court to be Dedicated to Legendary Angelo State Coach
SAN ANGELO, TX-- Angelo State University has announced they are dedicating the court at the Stephens Arena to legendary coach and athletic director Phil George.
The court was renovated to have George's name at center court during the university's winter break. The official dedication will be made this Saturday, Jan. 12, during the break between the Belles and Rams games against West Texas A&M University. The anticipated time of the ceremony is 3:15 p.m., but could change depending on the first game of the doubleheader.
The decision to dedicate the court was helped by F.L. "Steve" and Pollyanna Stephens, the benefactors and namesake of the Stephens Arena.
"[They] were instrumental in the decision to name Phil George Center Court," Angelo State University said in a statement. "Both have long been active philanthropists and supporters of the San Angelo community and Angelo State. During the construction of the Junell Center in 1999, they donated $1 million to the university, and the multipurpose arena was named in their honor."
George helped guide San Angelo College to the 1957 national championship and eight Pioneer Conference titles in 36 years of coaching at ASU. While coaching the men's basketball team, George accrued a record of 512-274.
The Rams are 9-3 overall and 2-1 in the Lone Star Conference. The Belles are 9-1 overall and 4-0 in conference play.
Get more stories like this by signing up for our daily newsletter, The LIVE! Daily.