WATCH: Avenue K Apartment With No Electricity Described To Go Up In Flames
SAN ANGELO, TX — Witnesses at the scene said they believe it was an electrical fire behind Bryant Place Apartments in the 1500 block of S. Bryant. We witnessed much smoke blowing out of a structure there, but no visible flames.
The San Angelo Fire Department was seen fully engaged in finding and extinguishing the fire. Traffic was blocked for fire trucks, although as of 11 p.m., Bryant was open again.
The neighbors told us the backyard apartment from where the smoke appeared to be originating was vacant.
The apartment was rented, but the renter has not been in town for a few weeks. The witness, who is the neighbor, has been attempting to contact the person who rented the apartment with no success.
WATCH: Resident and SAFD describe fire on Avenue K and South David
Another witness said a woman was watching the apartment and some of her belongings were inside it. She fears everything is lost.
Outside, as the fire spread, the witness said his cat named “Two-Face” could have been harmed. But he said he quickly found the cat and rescued it. He was holding his cat when he talked to our reporters.
Update (final)11:25 p.m.:
Battalion Chief Fred Barnett from the San Angelo Fire Department said when firefighters arrived, they witnessed a large amount of smoke. He said they suspect there were two possibilities of the origin of the fire. It either started in the carport and spread to what Barnett called a “Grandmother’s Cottage” or vis versa. The Fire investigator from the City of San Angelo Fire Marshal’s office will determine that, he said.
A grandmother’s cottage is a small one bedroom and one bathroom apartment structure associated with the primary residence on the lot.
Firefighters fought the fire along three axis of attack, performing a “defensive” approach to minimize damage or having the fire spread to adjacent structures. He said they were successful in protecting adjacent residences.
“No one was hurt, and no pets were killed,” Barnett said.
The carport and the kitchen of the grandmother’s cottage sustained significant damage, he said.
AEP was called to the scene because a power line behind the cottage fell. Barnett said neighbors told him electricity has not been connected to the cottage for about five months. He had not been able to confirm it. AEP disconnected electricity that energized the downed power line.
Recommended for You
Get more stories like this by signing up for our daily newsletter, The LIVE! Daily.