SAN ANGELO, TX — Shortly before 6:30 p.m. this evening, the San Angelo Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fire with heavy smoke and flames in the 600 block of N. Adams Street.
Battalion Chief Patrick Brody stated that fire trucks arrived on scene shortly after the call came through dispatch and knocked out the fire within two minutes. As the firefighters were unsure if the house had been occupied when the fire began, Brody stated that firefighters swept the building. Luckily, firefighters found no one inside the house. A dog and a hamster were found safe in the backyard.
After the first engine put out the fire, additional firetrucks continued to monitor hotspots throughout the house
A neighboring house also received some heat and smoke damage from the fire. Due to the odor and toxicity of the smoke inside their home, the family can not live in their house for the next couple of days..
The two families impacted by the fire have been in contact with Red Cross representatives to help them find a place to stay.
Fire Marshal Berry stated that the fire began in the carport and spread from there to the house. As for now, Berry added that he has some suspicions as to how the fire began, but would need more time to investigate.
Three engines responded to the call and an additional pumper was requested as there were initial reports of heavy fire.