The San Angelo Fire Department responded to a structure fire call at San Jacinto Elementary shortly after 3 p.m. Tuesday. A 911 call said that there was a strong odor of electrical fire inside the school.
When firefighters arrived and investigated, they narrowed the source of the smell to the second floor. They reported that there was no obvious source of heat. Upon further investigation, the firefighters reported that the source was possibly originating from an air conditioning unit.
Dispatch relieved Engine 3 from the scene and the remainder stayed at the school to monitor and further investigate.
Spaulding Street is blocked from North Pope to Browning Street.
We will update this story when more information is available.
Update 3:36 p.m.
Firefighters have been attempting to gain access to the roof. At this point, they ordered Ladder 1 to deploy and get into position to give rooftop access.
Update 3:49 p.m.
Summer school was not in session. Only maintenance workers were at the school when the smell of electrical smoke was reported.
Captain Johnny Fisher of the San Angelo Fire Department gave us a briefing.
He said that the firefighters responded to a call at San Jacinto Elementary when a 911 caller said there was a strong odor of electrical fire on the second floor.
Update 3:50 p.m.
San Angelo ISD Superintendent is on the scene now. She must have heard about the scare ob San Angelo LIVE!
Firefighters narrowed the source down to room 11 upstairs. Upon further investigation, they found an electrical breaker tripped. The breaker was assigned to one of the air conditioning units.
Firefighters used Ladder 1 to access the roof and check the status of the malfunctioning air conditioner unit.