River Fest 2018 Kicks Off With 5k "Run With the Heroes"
SAN ANGELO, TX — The annual San Angelo River Fest kicks off at 9 a.m. with a 5k run to honor first responders on Sept 15. Hosted by Operation Blue Shield and Downtown San Angelo Inc., the “Run with the Heroes” is title-sponsored by First Financial Bank and Timeclock Plus.
The Run with the Heroes is modeled after a similar event in the Dallas Metroplex. There, multiple law enforcement agencies and fire departments competed against one another. But it also gives citizens an opportunity to run with the policemen, firemen, and military personnel. Participants are encouraged to bring and wear their own cape to commemorate being a "superhero."
Downtown San Angelo’s Del Velasquez introduced the concept of the run at a press conference at 2 p.m. today. County Judge Steve Floyd put up $100 to the charity, Operation Blue Shield, that the Tom Green County Sheriff’s Office will win the race overall. The San Angelo Police Department’s Chief Frank Carter is considering the challenge.
The 5k run is accompanied with a 1-mile walk for those who do not wish to complete the entire 3.1-mile course that will hug the Concho River through downtown San Angelo.
Here is a video of the Dallas Run with the Heroes, with Operation Blue Shield:
The run will begin in the Neff’s Park area, at S. Chadbourne St. and the Concho River, with registration starting at 7:30 a.m. on Sept. 15. The opening ceremony is at 8:45 a.m. and the race begins at 9 a.m. There will be an awards ceremony at 10:15 a.m. The race is part of the fundraising efforts for Operation Blue Shield. "Operation Blue Shield creates, supports, and integrates community-based programs and partnerships that build safe, healthy, sustainable neighborhoods and a stronger America," according to their website.
Registration for the run for civilians is $20 for teens 13+ and adults, $10 for kids 7-12 years old, and $10 for seniors 60 years old and up. Youth under the age of 7 can register for free. To register for the run, go here online.
The run is part of the larger River Fest celebration that will culminate with a concert by the Josh Abbott Band, with opening act Granger Smith, at the Bill Aylor Sr. Memorial RiverStage. The concert is sponsored by All American Chevrolet.
For tickets to the Josh Abbott Band concert the evening of Sept. 15 , go here online.
Here is the complete 2018 River Fest schedule on Sept. 15:
- 9 a.m.-10:30 a.m. – Run with the Heroes, Operation blue Shield Superhero, 5k & family mile @ River Stage, Neff's. Register here online.
- 9:00 a.m. - noon Lily Fest @ Civic League Park
- 10 a.m.-noon – Three-player scramble golf tournament, at Santa Fe Golf Course.
- 10 a.m.-2 p.m. – Six-on-six sand volleyball tournament at The Bosque.
- 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Recreation Fun and Games @ Neff's Area
- 10 a.m.-7 p.m. – Shannon's Kids Court, featuring a petting zoo, pony rides, and long horns. Unlimited access bracelets will be available for $5.
- 10 a.m.-7 p.m. – Concessions and vendors in the Neff’s area.
- 10 a.m.-2 p.m. – Grogan’s Canoes and Kayaks at Celebration Bridge.
- 11 a.m.-noon – Free kids washer-pitching at The Bosque.
- 11 a.m.-6 p.m. – Kids flag football games in the Neff’s area.
- Noon-7 p.m. – Live music at the Chadbourne Bridge Stage.
- 1 p.m.-7 p.m. – Vega washer-pitching tournament in the games court in The Bosque.
- 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. - Girl Scouts Canoe Races at south end of Celebration Bridge
- 4 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. - River Fest Adult Olympics @ Neff's
- 4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. Recreation Canoe Races
- 5:30 p.m. - 7 p.m. Grogan's Canoes & Kayaks at north end Celebration Bridge
- 6 p.m. - 10:30 p.m. Josh Abbott Band @ Bill Aylor Sr. Memorial River Stage. Get tickets here.