ABILENE, TX -- Abilene ISD is taking the next steps in renaming the three elementary schools named after confederate leaders.
After voting to change the names of 4 schools, the School Renaming Committee has released a list of 12 potential names.
Jackson, Johnston, and Lee Elementary Schools will have their name changed while Reagan Elementary will be closed at the end of the school year. It will be renamed so it may reflect "its geographical location in Abilene."
The following list has been released by the committee:
- Aline "Andy" Cleveland - long AISD time educator, retired in 2011 with 51 years of service
- Charles Hundley - former AISD superintendent
- Eugene Purcell - longtime AISD teacher/administrator
- James. A Stovall- former principal at Dyess, Alta Vista, Fair Park, and Crockett, 42 years of service
- Katherine Johnson - famed mathematician who was one of the first African American women to work at NASA
- Odis Dolton - Abilene community leader
- Raymond B. Hayden - principal at Woodson Elementary for 42 years
- Robert and Sammye Stafford - a pioneer in providing education to African American families in Abilene; AISD teacher of the year in 1958
- Sgt. Reuben Marcus Fernandez - former AISD student; killed in action
- Sonny G. Castillo - former custodian at Johnston
- Susan Petty - longtime music teacher in the AISD
- Vail Brailsford - longtime AISD educator
On November 30 the committee will finalize the recommendations which will then be presented to the Board of Trustees during the December 3 meeting.