SAPD Reminds the Public that Speed and Seconds Count
SAN ANGELO, TX – The San Angelo Police Department sent out a notice Monday reminding the public to slow down in school zones.
Here are a few tips for driving in a school zone from the Texas Department of Transportation:
- Remain alert at all times.
- Put away your cellphone. Cellphone use is banned in active school zones and violators face fines of up to $200 in school zones where signs are posted.
- Always obey school zone speed limit signs. Remember, traffic fines usually double in school zones.
- Drop off and pick up your children in your school’s designated areas, not the middle of the street.
- Keep an eye on children gathered at bus stops.
- Be alert for children who might dart across the street or between vehicles on their way to school.
- Obey all traffic rules, signs and signals.
- As always, stay away from alcohol and/or drugs, including prescribed and over-the-counter medication which may impair driving. They impact your ability to remain alert and affect your decision-making, reflexes and reaction time.
Recommended for You
Get more stories like this by signing up for our daily newsletter, The LIVE! Daily.