Affidavit: Murder Suspect Claims "It Had To Be Done"


SAN ANGELO, TX – Officials have released more information regarding the murder suspect who was arrested Wednesday. 

According to an affidavit, on July 3, an officer with the San Angelo Police Department received a call from another SAPD detective about a possible aggravated assault in the 800 block of Antonio street. He then went to the house to conduct a felony investigation. 

Once inside the officer spoke with another officer who had been there when the San Angelo Fire Department first arrived. He claimed that the SAFD were first dispatched to the scene for a medical incident. When emergency medical personnel arrived they found a man lying on the floor who was unconscious and nonresponsive. 

The man was taken to Shannon Medical Center and then was immediately placed into the Intensive Care Unit. Upon the initial inspection of the man he appeared to have lacerations to the face and scalp. 

The detective then interviewed the man who called for an ambulance. He told the detective that he arrived at the house of Victor "Mancha" Rodriguez to check on him. When he walked in the home he found Rodriguez lying in a pool of blood. 

Officers then went inside of the home and into the room where Rodriguez was found. The affidavit states that the victim was located in the north east bedroom of the residence. There was a large amount of blood on the floor where the victim had been located. The officer then looked at picture of Rodriguez. The pictures showed a laceration several inches long running diagonally from the left side of the victim's upper scalp to the  center of the victim's forehead. 

Back in the room the officers found evidence of blood splatter on the wall, TV, dresser, floor, and in between the foot of the bed and cabinets. One thing that the officer noticed in the room was that there were no signs any fight or struggle. Also doctors claimed that Rodriguez had no defensive wounds. 

The officer learned that a number of people were at the house the night Rodriguez was assaulted. Jesse Samaniego, Matthew Soto, Joe Robles, Victor Rodriguez, and Kevin Barron were all at 818 Antonio Street. 

Officers first spoke with Samaniego. He stated that the five were all at the house at 818 Antonio street. He claimed that at one point in the night he left the house to go get water with his wagon. When he left Rodriguez and Barron were the only ones at the house. Police reviewed surveillance video and confirmed Samaniego's story. Samaniego said that Rodriguez was fine when he left but when he returned he found him laying on the floor unconscious with blood surrounding him. He also stated that he was moaning. Once Samaniego returned no one was inside of the residence. At around 3 a.m. Soto returned to the house. Soto and Samaniego went outside and found Barron. They asked what happened to Rodriguez and according to the affidavit he stated something to the effect of "It had to be done." Samaniego described Barron as excited and sweating profusely. Samaniego finished his statement by saying that Rodriguez did not live at the house, that no one had shown up looking for him that night, and that no other people were at the house that night. 

Then officers spoke with Joe Robles. Robles stated that he had gone to the house that night to check up on his niece. He said that she was not there so he only stayed for thirty to forty minutes. While he was there he was in the middle bedroom with Samaniego, Soto, and Barron. Robles claims that he had no idea who Rodriguez was. He finished his statement by telling officers that he knew for sure that Rodriguez was still present and had not been assaulted when he left. He also claimed that Barron was acting strangely, was very excited, and was looking like he wanted to fight someone. 

Finally officers spoke with Matthew Soto. Soto stated that he was there early in the night but left. He said when he left Robles, Samaniego, Rodriguez, and Barron were all still there. When he returned at around 3 a.m. he said he heard a noise coming from the back room. He then went to the room and found Rodriguez on the floor bleeding. He said that he and Samaniego then went and found Barron. Soto claims to not know what him and Samaniego talked about but he knew Barron was sweating and acting weird. 

Officers learned on July 14 that Rodriguez died from his wounds. An autopsy was performed the following day and showed that Rodriguez had skull and facial fractures. The doctor told officers that Rodriguez's wounds would have quickly incapacitated the victim. 

Barron was arrested on July 22 and was charged with murder and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. His bond is set at $507,500. 

Barron has previously been arrested for a number of assaults, discharging a firearm, and possession of a dangerous drug. 

Subscribe to the LIVE! Daily

The LIVE! Daily is the "newspaper to your email" for San Angelo. Each content-packed edition has weather, the popular Top of the Email opinion and rumor mill column, news around the state of Texas, news around west Texas, the latest news stories from San Angelo LIVE!, events, and the most recent obituaries. The bottom of the email contains the most recent rants and comments. The LIVE! daily is emailed 5 days per week. On Sundays, subscribers receive the West Texas Real Estate LIVE! email.


Most Recent Original Videos



Post a comment to this article here:

X Close