SAN ANGELO, TX – Concho Valley PAWS confirmed a fourth dog has been found poisoned at the Riverbend Estates.
As previously reported, on Feb. 20, 2023, two dogs at the Riverbend estates off Ben Ficklin Rd. were taken to the Western Veterinarian Hospital after they were found unconscious. Once there, the vets found signs that the dogs had been poisoned by multiple substances. For the original story see: Dogs Cruelly Poisoned by Fentanyl in San Angelo
Veterinarian at the Western Veterinarian Hospital Dr. Hodges suspects that the dogs were poisoned by ethylene glycol (old style anti freeze) and Fentanyl. One day later a third dog was found. Unfortunately, three all three dogs died.
New information released by the Concho Valley PAWS Wednesday confirms that a fourth dog has now been found.
"On Friday, February 24, 2023, a fourth dog was found in the same neighborhood presenting similar symptoms," confirmed PAWS. "However, this dog was still responsive when it was rushed to the hospital. That dog is a dachshund mix and remains hospitalized but is improving with a positive prognosis. It appears we were able to begin treatment soon after exposure improving his chances at survival."
Concho Valley PAWS also stated in their release that they have been working with the San Angelo Police Department. Despite that it is unknown whether or not an official investigation has been opened up.
"The police have been notified and we are hopeful an investigation will be underway," stated PAWS in the release.
San Angelo LIVE! has also reached out to the SAPD for an official statement. No reply has been received as of Mar. 1, 2023. In the mean time PAWS did give some tips on how to avoid the situation.
"Please keep your pets safely secured in your yards or homes and watch children. We suspect these dogs have been poisoned through meat or treats laced with anti-freeze and possibly more. This type of malicious act not only puts animals at risk but children as well," stated PAWS. "Even if you are walking your pet on a leash, be aware. It only takes a moment for an animal to consume something it should not. If you have any knowledge regarding these dogs or see anything suspicious in the area, please contact the San Angelo Police Department."