BIG SPRING, TX -- The mayor of Big Spring is asking residents to keep a watchful eye after he received a report of a mountain lion sighting.
According to Mayor Thomason, the alleged sighting occurred on the south side of town.
The sighting has not been confirmed by government officials, but residents are asked to report any sightings to the Texas Parks & Wildlife at 1 (800) 792-1112 or by calling the non-emergency dispatch at 432-264-2550.
Anyone who encounters mountain lions is asked to remember the following tips by the Texas Parks & Wildlife:
- Pick up all children off the ground immediately.
- Do not approach the lion
- Stay calm. Talk calmly and move slowly.
- Face the lion and remain in an upright position.
- Do not turn your back on the lion. Back away slowly
- Do not run.
- Do all you can to enlarge your image.
- Do not crouch down or try to hide