Coca Cola, Keep Texas Beautiful Team up for Weekend-Long Recycling Event
DALLAS, TX – This weekend, Coca-Cola Southwest Beverages (CCSWB) and Keep Texas Beautiful are challenging Texans to live a “Weekend Without Waste.” Events are being held in San Antonio, Dallas, Houston and McAllen from October 5-7 to educate as many Texans as possible on what, how and where to recycle.
The weekend event is part of The Coca-Cola Company’s “World Without Waste” initiative, an industry-first goal to collect and recycle the equivalent of every bottle or can it sells globally by 2030. The Coca-Cola Company is tackling this goal through a renewed focus on the entire packaging lifecycle, from how bottles and cans are designed and made, to how they’re recycled and repurposed.
"Public recycling events like the 'Weekend without Waste' are a first step towards achieving our goal of a World Without Waste," said Debbie Moody, VP-Public Affairs and Communications, Coca-Cola Southwest Beverages. "Overall, recycling rates in the US have more than doubled since 1990, but there is room for improvement. Through education and hands-on collection efforts, we can ensure that more of the material will be recycled rather than end up in landfills."
“Keep Texas Beautiful is proud to be a long-time partner of Coca-Cola and is excited to support its ‘World Without Waste’ effort. We’re looking forward to seeing the impact of this important recycling program across the state!” said Suzanne Kho, Executive Director of Keep Texas Beautiful.
The “Weekend Without Waste” will take place when many of the Lone Star State’s high school, college and professional sports teams are in action. Over the three-day period, recycling teams will be roaming stadium stands and parking lots with signs and recycling bins to remind Texans to recycle their bottles and cans when they’re finished. Recycling teams will be reaching hundreds of thousands of Texans in the process. 2018 partners of the “Weekend Without Waste” include the Houston Texans, San Antonio Spurs, San Antonio ISD, EarthX, Keep Houston Beautiful, OU Club of Dallas, UTRGV HESTEC, Dallas Texas Exes and Waste Management of Texas.
Texans can recycle for a good cause with Coca-Cola Recycle & Give machines, the first time the machines have ever been used in Texas. These one-of-a-kind reverse vending machines will enable Fairgoers to donate to Texas Exes and OU Club of Dallas student scholarship funds for every bottle and can recycled. The Recycle & Give machines will be located near Gate G at the Cotton Bowl, in Nimitz Circle, throughout the Weekend Without Waste.
The 2018 “Weekend Without Waste” events include:
- Friday, Oct. 5 – Sunday, Oct. 7
- in Dallas at the State Fair of Texas, Coca-Cola Recycle & Give machines will be set up outside the Cotton Bowl near Gate G to collect bottles and cans
- Friday, Oct. 5
- in San Antonio at Alamo Stadium recycling teams will be at the Jefferson High School vs Burbank High School game
- Saturday, Oct. 6
- in Dallas at the State Fair of Texas, recycling teams will be collecting bottles and cans at the Texas Exes tailgate party
- in Edinburg, volunteers will be recycling for more than 15,000 attendees of the UTRGV HESTEC Community Day
- Sunday, Oct. 7
- in Houston prior to the Houston Texans/Dallas Cowboys game, volunteers from Keep Houston Beautiful will be in the Yellow Lot outside NRG Stadium, recycling for more than 10,000 tailgaters
- in San Antonio, recycling teams will be hosting a Zero Waste Zone for fans during the San Antonio Spurs/Houston Rockets game, working to collect every bottle and can in one section of AT&T Center
Recommended for You
Get more stories like this by signing up for our daily newsletter, The LIVE! Daily.