Area Baseball Standings: Who Can Clinch Playoffs on Friday?
SAN ANGELO, TX -- The high school baseball season is hitting the home stretch and there's a lot to play for for area teams.
The 16 area schools are seeing their playoff races ratchet up the pressure in the closing stages. No. 1-ranked Wall, Reagan County and no. 15 Mason have all secured a postseason spot, while nine others are still in the hunt.
For the Central Bobcats, a win over Abilene on Friday would see them through to the playoffs.
The only other area teams who can clinch a playoff berth on Friday are Miles and Winters. The two teams need one win to clinch and play each other on Friday.
Lake View is tied with Sweetwater in fourth place with a 1-4 record, but Sweetwater holds the advantage currently after beating the Chiefs in their first meeting. If the Chiefs were to win out, they would make the playoffs.
In District 4-3A, where Wall and Reagan County have clinched playoff berths, nobody can clinch a playoff spot on Friday. Brady could clinch as early as Tuesday with two wins and a Ballinger loss along the way. Sonora is currently a half-game ahead of fifth place Ballinger. If Sonora were to win twice and Ballinger were to lose twice, Sonora would be in the playoffs.
Here are the district standings as of the morning of April 12:
- Central (18-11-1, 6-3): Beat Abilene 1-0. Next @ Abilene, April 12
- Hurst Bell (16-8, 5-2): Beat Richland 7-5. Next vs Richland, April 12
- Euless Trinity (14-11, 5-2): Beat Haltom 8-1. Next @ Haltom, April 12
- Weatherford (16-9-1, 4-4): Lost to Aledo (Non-district). Idle.
- Abilene (15-9, 4-5): Lost to Central 1-0. Next vs Central, April 12
- Fort Worth Richland (13-12, 3-4): Lost to Bell 7-5. Next @ Bell, April 12
- Fort Worth Haltom (1-17-1, 0-7): Lost to Trinity 8-1. Next vs Trinity, April 12
- Midland Greenwood (10-11, 4-1): Beat Lake View 17-6. Next vs Snyder, April 12.
- Big Spring (12-12-1, 3-1): Lost to Lubbock Christian (non-district). Next @ Sweetwater, April 12.
- Snyder (8-13, 3-2): Beat Sweetwater 3-2. Next @ Greenwood, April 12.
- Sweetwater (3-14-1, 1-4): Lost to Snyder 3-2. Next vs Big Spring, April 12.
- Lake View (7-16, 1-4): Lost to Greenwood 17-6. Idle.
- Wall (24-0, 9-0)-x: Beat Sonora 14-2. Next @ Ballinger, April 12.
- Reagan County (15-7, 8-1)-x: Beat Ballinger 6-4. Idle.
- Brady (11-10-1, 5-3): Beat TLCA 21-0. Next @ Sonora, April 12.
- Sonora (12-6, 4-5): Lost to no. 1 Wall 14-2. Next vs Brady, April 12.
- Ballinger (6-15, 3-5): Lost to Reagan County 6-4. Next vs Wall, April 12.
- Grape Creek (2-11, 1-7): Idle. Next vs TLCA, April 12.
- TLCA (2-14, 0-9): Lost to Brady 21-0. Next @ Grape Greek, April 12.
- Ozona (13-6-1, 5-1): Beat Fort Hancock (DH). Next @ Eldorado, April 12.
- McCamey (11-6-1, 5-1): Beat Eldorado (DH). Next @ Van Horn, April 12.
- Eldorado (6-9, 4-2): Lost to McCamey (DH). Next vs Ozona, April 12.
- Christoval (2-5, 2-4): Beat Van Horn (DH). Next vs Fort Hancock (DH), April 13.
- Van Horn (0-5, 0-4): Lost to Christoval (DH). Next vs McCamey, April 12.
- Fort Hancock (0-6, 0-4): Lost to Ozona (DH). Next @ Christoval (DH), April 13.
- De Leon (12-7, 8-1)-x: Beat Winters 1-0. Next @ Cross Plains, April 12.
- Cross Plains (8-6, 7-2)-x: Beat Gorman 5-4. Next vs De Leon, April 12.
- Winters (10-4, 6-2): Lost to De Leon 1-0. Next vs Miles, April 12.
- Miles (11-12, 6-3): Beat May 15-3. Next @ Winters, April 12.
- Goldthwaite (4-9, 2-6): Idle. Next @ May, April 12.
- May (0-9, 0-7): Lost to Miles 15-3. Next vs Goldthwaite, April 12.
- Gorman (6-10, 0-8): Lost to Cross Plains 5-4. Idle.
- Mason (11-5, 8-0)-x: Beat Harper 5-0. Next vs Center Point, April 12.
- Center Point (8-4, 6-1)-x: Beat Johnson City (non-district). Next @ Mason, April 12.
- Harper (9-10, 3-4): Lost to Mason 5-0. Next @ Junction, April 12.
- San Saba (3-8, 2-6): Beat Junction 15-10. Idle.
- Junction (3-10, 1-5): Lost to San Saba 15-10. Next vs Harper, April 12.
- Medina (1-8, 1-5): Idle.
x- clinched playoffs
Recommended for You
Get more stories like this by signing up for our daily newsletter, The LIVE! Daily.