SAN ANGELO, TX –– In an effort to prepare for a future catastrophic winter storm, Goodfellow Air Force Base has released a list of critical items to have on hand for military members and civilians.
"Through the lessons learned last year, it is now easy to see that storms can be unpredictable and its intensity can be difficult to measure until it is upon us," said Goodfellow AFB in the statement.
To endure and survive the next winter storm this is a critical list of items to have on hand and safety tips to follow.
- Non-perishable food
- Baby formula
- Prescription medications
- Pet food
- Ice melting salt
- Flashlights with batteries
- Matches or lighter
- Covers for outdoor water spigots
- Portable chargers for vehicle(s) and mobile phone(s)
- Snow shovel
- Car de-icer solution
- Ice scraper
The following safety precautions and tips can help prepare drivers and homeowners during extreme winter weather.
- Check vehicle tire condition.
- Ensure your vehicle is ‘winterized,’ which includes having adequate levels of coolant in the radiator, antifreeze mixture for your windshield fluid, functional wiper blades and battery, and an emergency kit.
- Avoid driving on icy roads unless it’s necessary.
- Avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Only use generators and grills outdoors and away from windows.
- Never heat your home with a gas stovetop or oven.
- Limit your time outside.
- If you need to go outside, wear layers of warm clothing and gloves. Watch for signs of frostbite and hypothermia.
- Reduce the risk of a heart attack by avoiding overexertion when shoveling snow.
Post a comment to this article here: