SAN ANGELO, TX — The San Angelo Fire Department is ending the month of March with a very special ceremony. On Tuesday afternoon, the department hosted a retirement and promotion celebration at the McNease Convention Center.
The ceremony honored firefighters who are retiring after decades of service. Several of the retirees were unable to have an official ceremony due to the pandemic.
Family and friends gathered to cheer on the first responders who serve the community day after day. Mayor Brenda Gunter, City Manager Daniel Valenzuela, and Chief Frank Carter were also in attendance.
"Ultimately what today is about is celebrating the lives, the commitment, the effort, the energy, and the belief that being a first responder is a career path and something these gentlemen have all said, I do, and I will, I care, and I have committed to protecting the citizens of San Angelo," said Mayor Brenda Gunter.
- Micky Collins, Driver, 30 years of service (2020)
- Cary Harrison, Captain, 30 years of service (2020)
- Mike Young, Lieutenant, 31 1/2 years of service (2020)
- Geoffrey Childress (2020)
- Brad Greebon (2020)
- Chad Greaves (2020)
- Cory Word (2020)
- David Green (2020)
- Stephen Montgomery (2020)
- Kellen Gierke (2020)
- Michael Hughes (2020)
- Michael Birdsong (2020
- Kelly Hood, Driver 23 1/2 years of service (2021)
- Duane Drew, Bunker Gear Technician, 12 years of service (2021)
- Logan Mikeska (2021)
- Eric Bryan (2021)
- Joshua Kemp (2021)
- Justin Neely (2021)