SAN ANGELO, TX — As schools reopen this week, SAPD would like to remind San Angelo drivers to be mindful when they drive in school zones.
- Remain alert at all times.
- Put your cellphone away —cellphone use is banned in active school zones and violators face fines of up to $200 in school zones where signs are posted.
- Always obey school zone speed limit signs — traffic fines usually double in school zones.
- Drop off and pick up children in the school’s designated areas, not the middle of the street.
- Keep an eye on children gathered at bus stops.
- Be alert for children who might dart across the street or between vehicles on their way to school.
- Obey all traffic rules, signs, and signals.
- Stay away from alcohol and/or drugs, including prescribed and over-the-counter medication which may impair driving. They impact your ability to remain alert and affect your decision-making, reflexes and reaction time