Thursday is National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day
SAN ANGELO, TX – For the past five years January 9th has been designated as National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day. On this day Americans are encouraged to show their support and appreciation of local law enforcement agencies that work hard every day to keep the City of San Angelo and Tom Green County safe.
Concerns of Police Survivors or C.O.P.S is an organization that is leading the effort to spread encouragement and respect of law enforcement officials. C.O.P.S. celebrates National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day or L.E.A.D. by providing ideas of how everyday Americans can show their support.
First and foremost, if you see any law enforcement officer, make sure to take a moment to thank them for their service and dedication. Whether it is on January 9 or not, every day is a good day to thank an officer.
Law enforcement officers put their lives on the line every time they respond to a 9-1-1 call. As reporters, we at San Angelo LIVE! have the opportunity to hear just a fraction of the calls that officers respond to, oftentimes without knowing if they may encounter harm as they enter a home or business. They are often placed in dangerous situations and they must respond to assure the safety of everyone in the community.
The following list provides several ideas the community can carry out to show their appreciation:
- Wear blue clothing in support of law enforcement.
- Send a card of support to your local police department or state agency.
- Share a story about a positive law enforcement experience on social media.
- Ask children in your community to write letters in support of law enforcement.
- Participate in Project Blue Light - Proudly display your blue light in support of law enforcement.
- Organize an event or a rally in support of your law enforcement officers.
- Advertise your support through local media outlets/billboards.
- Post the public service announcement supplied by C.O.P.S. to your organization’s webpage or social media pages.
- Coordinate and/or participate in a Blue Blood Drive.
Recommended for You
Get more stories like this by signing up for our daily newsletter, The LIVE! Daily.