Why it should be called 'Chickenbocker'
SAN ANGELO, TX — San Angelo Live on many occasions has joked about the ‘Chicken District’ which is the small section of Knickerbocker Road that has many chicken restaurants in less than a quarter mile of each other. Where Jackson St. meets Knickerbocker is the intersection of chicken with Raising Cane’s, Chick-Fil-A, and the eagerly awaited Bush’s Chicken (that might not ever come).
But if you really think about it, the whole road should just be renamed ‘Chickenbocker.’ Every restaurant down the 7.7-mile road serves some sort of chicken on the menu. The 7.7 miles is from the intersection where Knickerbocker and Bryant meet to the San Angelo Regional Airport Mathis Field.
From Gil’s to the Mathis Field Café there are 31 different places to get chicken on Knickerbocker Rd.
- Gil’s Mexican and American: Serves different chicken options including chicken strips
- Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen: Serves many chicken dishes
- Cork & Pig Tavern: Fried Chicken is a CPT favorite
- Twin Peaks: Chicken is everywhere on that menu!
- Chick-fil-A: Chicken is the main thang.
- Rosa’s Café: Chicken is always an option.
- Taco Bell: They got chicken chips!
- Raising Cane’s: The addiction is real! Cane’s Sauce!
- Bonsai Garden: Teriyaki Chicken Hibachi style
- Little Caesar’s: Serves chicken wings.
- Zentner’s Daughter: Chicken Strips is always an option.
- Flemings Family Diner: Fried chicken and wings.
- Dairy Queen: Chicken strips. That’s what I like about Texas.
- Subway: You can get chicken on sandwiches.
- 3 Parrots: Chicken on Tacos.
- Diego’s Burritos: Chicken in burritos.
- Julio’s Burritos: More chicken burritos
- Burger King: They have chicken fries!
- Sonic: Popcorn chicken!
- Golden Chick: Fried Chicken and that mac-n-cheese
- Pizza Hut: Wing Street for the win.
- King Buffet: Sweet and Sour Chicken or Sesame Chicken
- Bombay to Kathmandu Kitchen: 11 different Indian style chicken dinners
- Double Dave’s: Bar-b-que chicken pizza!
- Lotus Café: Has a whole Poultry section of the menu!
- Wing Stop: Lemon Pepper Boneless Wings
- Which Wich: Chicken Wiches! Chicken Salad, Pesto Chicken, Buffalo Chicken
- Whataburger: Got to love that #13
- Packsaddle Bar-B-Que: Delicious chicken strip basket
- Mathis Field Café: Has a whole chicken entrée section
So maybe the new chicken district should be the whole 1.4 miles of Knickerbocker from Twin Peaks to Wing Stop should be the chicken district. With 24 different places to get chicken in the area, it only seems appropriate.
But the whole street should get the nickname of ‘Chickenbocker’ because all 31 restaurants along the almost 8-mile road serves up some delicious chicken.
Maybe, all the restaurants in San Angelo serve some sort of chicken entree, should we change the name to 'San Chickenlo'. One thing is for sure, you can never escape the chicken options in San Angelo.
Recommended for You
Get more stories like this by signing up for our daily newsletter, The LIVE! Daily.