At 7:41 p.m. this evening the San Angelo Fire Department responded to a call about white smoke pouring from the attic of a house on the 2300 block of North St. According to witnesses, a 21-year-old and a 12-year-old were inside the home when the fire was reported. There were no injuries.
Scanner traffic indicated that the fire department laid waste to the roof of the house, cutting through it with chainsaws. Once inside, there were reports of a red-hot pipe, suggesting the smoke and flames were coming from some sort of vent or exhaust.
The Fire Marshall is on the scene.
Update 8:50 p.m.
The fire appears to be out and the fire department is rolling up the hoses.
Update 8:53 p.m.
The Red Cross has been called to the scene.
Update 9:32 p.m.
The Fire Marshall will continue the investigation. The initial findings, he said, indicate that the fire was electrical in nature. He said that the fire started between behind a closet a wall in the attic. The San Angelo Fire Department had to breech the roof in two sections to get to the fire. It took 20 minutes to extinguish. The Marshall said that the house is probably 1200 suare feet, and built in the late '50s or early '60s. Fire and water damage is mostly in the attic and back bedroom. Parts of the attic and all of the back bedroom will need major repairs. Because of the cold weather, that the power is cut-off, and that there are holes in the roof, the family cannot stay overnight in the home. The Red Cross is assisting finding the family a warm place to stay.