Democrat Candidate for Governor Campaigns as Texans Observe MLK Day

AUSTIN, TX –– As the country observes Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, the Robert Francis O'Rourke for Texas team spent the weekend canvassing across the state.

According to the campaign, Beto joined volunteers in various cities to "knock on doors, register Texans to vote, and talk to their neighbors about why voting matters."

“We honor the life of Martin Luther King Jr. by registering voters and bringing more people into our democracy," said Beto. "Texas is ground zero in the fight for voting rights. It’s up to us to help this country win that fight.”

The LIVE! Daily is the "newspaper to your email" for San Angelo. Each content-packed edition has weather, the popular Top of the Email opinion and rumor mill column, news around the state of Texas, news around west Texas, the latest news stories from San Angelo LIVE!, events, and the most recent obituaries. The bottom of the email contains the most recent rants and comments. The LIVE! daily is emailed 5 days per week. On Sundays, subscribers receive the West Texas Real Estate LIVE! email.

Required

Most Recent Videos

Comments

Better hide your guns!

“Hell yes we’re going to take your AR-15’s”  Francis O’Rourke

ME Someone, Mon, 01/17/2022 - 16:57

January 6th was a "violent terrorist attack" -Rafael Cruz (Canadian)

"The Vaccines Work" -Donald Trump

Whether semi- or fully automatic, weapons like this are evil.  They are designed to kill other human beings in large numbers.  Target shooters don't need them, hunters don't need them, people seeking self-defense don't need them.  There are better alternatives.

They are fundamentally substitutes for masculinity and salve for fragile egos.

CGM5, Tue, 01/18/2022 - 20:13

Well Sir, this is a topic we will disagree on. I happen to know a good bit about guns. Buying, selling, trading, shooting and discussing them has been a hobby of mine for decades. I have owned many guns through the years shotguns, rifles, pistols, many semi auto and even black powder. I have owned a few AR-15s. You are right, I don't need one for self defense and any hunting I do is with a 308 or 3006 bolt gun which are also more accurate. I like the AR platform but, not for the reasons you or I have listed. ARs are modular in design, meaning the barrel can be bought from company ABC, The stock can be bought from company EFG, the lower assembly can be bought from company XYZ, any of the smaller pieces can be bought where ever and everything will fit together like it was all bought at the same store. Many companies produce several variations of the different components which will allow an individual to custom build a rifle to their liking. As far as rifles go, they kick very little, the ammo is less expensive than the average rifle ammo and they are just fun to shoot.

A person doesn't need an AR-15 but, a golfer doesn't need a 2000.00 set of clubs, a guy doesn't need an 800.00 pair of handmade boots and you don't need a corvette to get to work. Different people enjoy different things. Before anyone reading this states the obvious (guns can kill people), so do automobiles which seem to be a fairly popular tool with terrorists and the insane, case and point - the Wisconsin Christmas parade, 6 dead and 62 injured. Some of those probably for life.                                                 I'm larger than the average guy. I still workout a few times a week. In my life I have fought other men. In my younger years I even spent a couple of years working weekends as a bouncer. I have been married to the same woman for decades. I believe I'm a good husband and father. I don't believe I have a masculinity problem. As far as fragile egos, I'm old and bald. I'm not sure I even have an ego anymore.

I like the "old and bald" comment.  I'm old and working on baldness, so I sympathize.  Younger women smashed my ego quite some time ago and they all now consider me to be "harmless"... which I find  downright depressing.

I grant you the .223 round is a quite decent round, and its relatively low cost and light recoil add to its attractiveness.  I have fired it in an AR- type weapon, a semiauto rifle of conventional geometry with a four or five round magazine, and in bolt action.  My problem lies in AR-type geometries, but I guess we could debate that until my path to baldness is complete.

Have a good one.

Van, Mon, 01/17/2022 - 15:26

According to the latest Gallup Poll the democratic party is rapidly on a downhill slide do to the unpopularity of the current President and the party itself.

ME Someone, Mon, 01/17/2022 - 16:59

Post Poll, I bet it still isn't as low as trumps was. RCP still has him at 41.7% approval, which is higher than trumps at the same point in time into their respective presidencies.

Van, Mon, 01/17/2022 - 17:25

Biden's poll numbers driven by the voters and Trump's poll numbers by constant negative media.  I wasn't even talking about Trump, voters are dumping the democratic party because they are totally out touch, whiney with no common sense.

ME Someone, Mon, 01/17/2022 - 17:34

So you have no proof of what you are saying then? Didn't think so.

ME Someone, Mon, 01/17/2022 - 18:15

I don't see a link to it, so you still have nothing.

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

ME Someone, Mon, 01/17/2022 - 21:06

That shows that more people lean democrat than republican, no surprise there at all. That first graph that I think you want to be your "gotcha" is quarterly average including independent leanings, look at the other graphs down the page to get a better picture.

"Democrats Usually Hold an Advantage, and Did So in 2021

When all the 2021 shifts are netted out, the Democrats' average three-point advantage for the entirety of the year is only slightly smaller than they had in recent years. Democrats held five- or six-point advantages in party affiliation each year between 2016 and 2020, and three-point edges in 2014 and 2015."

Good on you for providing a source, but it doesn't help your case any, in fact it proves mine.

Next time use the little chain looking icon in the text box and paste the link in their to make it clickable.

ME Someone, Mon, 01/17/2022 - 21:08

"research"

It is nobody's responsibility to prove any one else right other than the person making the assertion.

“You mean googling what you want to be true and reading what fits your already preconceived world view?”

Me me does this on a daily basis.

ME Someone, Tue, 01/18/2022 - 07:27

So you are just going to say the same thing I said back at me? You people can't even have original thoughts anymore.

At least I provide evidence. Although there are a few people here starting to post some evidence from time to time. I guess they realize how embarrassing it is to have me prove you guys wrong constantly.

Yes. You’re a next level hypocrite. Lol you don’t “prove” anything. You just post links and psycho babble all day.

ME Someone, Tue, 01/18/2022 - 08:48

Sounds like someone is a sore loser. I have proven you wrong plenty of times before, or was it the other let'sgobiden? Probably both.

If providing evidence of my position and me explaining it isn't "proving" anything, then it isn't when you people do it either.

ME Someone, Mon, 01/17/2022 - 20:24

Also, since this "publication" doesn't have a dedicated MLK article. I will post this here,

Gregg abbot and the other republicans signed a bill last year to remove the requirement to teach children about MLK, his movement, civil rights, and women's suffrage, among many other minorities and women's movements. It seems republicans would rather bury history that they don't like rather than teach about what really happened in Texas and the American south (and America as a whole),

Yet he has the audacity to say this;

As the old saying goes "those who don't learn about history are doomed to repeat it" Think about that next time you vote for these kinds of people and the effect they have on your children.

ME Someone, Mon, 01/17/2022 - 23:13

Republicans and democrats are different parties now than they were in the 1860's. I'll give you a thought experiment to show you what I mean,

"liberal" is to want change, correct?

"conservative" is to be against change, correct?

Which of the two were Lincoln's republicans in the 1860's?

"liberals" are in favor of federal agencies ("big government"), correct?

"conservatives" are against federal agencies ("big government"), correct?

Which of the two were Lincoln's Republicans in the 1860's?

"Republicans" of the 1860's were very liberal, and "Democrats" (southern democrats) were very much conservative. Their platforms were mostly the opposite then as they are now. This platform change solidified around the 1960's.

You can see this easily in historical voting maps,

Van, Tue, 01/18/2022 - 07:02

A liberal historians rewrote history to suit their narrative.

ME Someone, Tue, 01/18/2022 - 07:23

I provided evidence for my position. You provided nothing.

ME Someone, Tue, 01/18/2022 - 08:55

So you still have nothing then? Figures, you are just like the rest of them, all talk with nothing to back up what you are saying. Its like republicans actually enjoy losing.

Ah the so-called “big switch”…when racist southern democrats angry with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 supposedly switched parties.

The REALITY is, of the 21 democrat senators who opposed the Civil Rights Act, just one became a Republican. The other 20 continued to be elected as democrats or were replaced by other democrats. On average, those 20 seats didn’t go Republican for another 25 years ;)

ME Someone, Tue, 01/18/2022 - 18:36

That's not what I said, I said the parties switched platforms, which is demonstrably true and historical fact. I am not talking about the people that went from one party to another, I am talking about the republican and democrat parties themselves switching their stances on most issues. Voting maps from that time until now prove they switched.

Just look at the KKK, Who did they support in the late 1800's and who do they support now? It's really not that hard to figure out.

Either way, you haven't provided any proof of your position like I provided proof of mine so my argument wins by default.

Just more leftist propaganda. The sad thing is these people truly believe that crap ;)

ME Someone, Tue, 01/18/2022 - 18:38

Well, show some proof that says otherwise, but you can't because it is a historical fact. And you won't because you are too scared to actually have a real debate with someone you know you will lose against anyway.

ME Someone, Tue, 01/18/2022 - 23:36

It really is incredible that you people have NOTHING but insults. But keep it up, it lets me know I have already won.

Oh it’s “demonstrably true” why didn’t you say so lol.

No need to debate any further. I already proved you wrong, you’re just too STUPID to realize it ;)

ME Someone, Tue, 01/18/2022 - 23:00

More petty attempts at insults. Just like every other time you have nothing and I prove you wrong, you lash out because you have lost.

ME Someone, Tue, 01/18/2022 - 23:01

Yeah, I didn't think you had anything constructive to say. This is starting to get sad.

Notice how they always throw the race card whenever things start going sour for them ;)