SAN ANGELO, TX – The Texas Department of Transportation has begun to prepare the Houston Harte Expressway for the winter weather expected Monday night and Tuesday morning.
According to the TxDOT twitter page, on Oct. 26, Crews will be pretreating Loop 306, Houston Harte and US 67 today in preparation for the wintery weather expected this evening.
The winter weather is expected to begin at 7 p.m. and continue throughout the following morning. The national weather service is also reporting that it will freeze between 7 p.m. and 1 a.m.
TxDOT are asking that drivers stay off the road unless absolutely necessary.
Here are some tips if you have to drive tonight courtesy of TxDOT:
- Slow down. Speed limits are based on normal road and weather conditions, not winter road conditions.
- Maintain at least three times the normal following distance on snow or ice.
- Watch carefully for snow removal equipment and stay at least 200 feet behind snow plows.
- Use extra caution on bridges, ramps, overpasses and shaded areas as they tend to freeze first.
- If your vehicle starts to slide, ease off the gas pedal or brakes. Steer into the direction of the skid until you have regained traction. Then straighten your vehicle.