SAN ANGELO, TX — The traditional concert and fireworks show in San Angelo is held July 3 at the Bill Aylor, Dr. Memorial RiverStage, 16 E. Avenue A. Called “A Star-Spangled Banner Concert & Fireworks” the festivities for the day begin at 12 p.m. when the gates to the River Stage open so patrons can claim a spot on the hill in front of the stage.
Here is the official schedule for the day’s activities:
- 12 p.m. - River Stage gates open. Claim your spot for the show later Monday evening.
- 12 p.m. - 6 p.m. - The Municipal Pool, 18 E. Avenue A, will be open for public swimming from noon to 6 p.m. July 3-4. Admission is $5 per person for ages 3-64, free for children younger than 3, and $3 for 65 and older.
- 12 p.m. - 2 p.m. - Car Show at the Paseo.
- 5 p.m. until 11 p.m. - Vendors in Neff’s Park, 342 S. Chadbourne St. The park is located on the north side of the Concho River between Oakes and Chadbourne. There will be seven food trucks and a variety of crafts and novelty vendors. The park are will have over 20 different vendors.
- 5 p.m. until 7 p.m. - Combined Lion’s Clubs Hamburger Cookout at the Fort Concho Stables, 210 Henry O. Flipper St (just off Oakes St. on the north side of the Fort Concho grounds. $10 per plate.
- 6:30 p.m. - Splash Party at the Municipal Pool. Those who purchased Splash Party tickets will be allowed to enter at 6:30 p.m. Outside food and drinks are not allowed in the pool. Concessions are available for sale. The Splash Party at the Municipal Pool is sold out.
- 6:30 p.m. - Concert begins with opening ceremonies, San Angelo LIVE! Stream of the River Stage performances begins.
- 6:45 p.m. - Lake View Marichi Los Casicas
- 7:20 p.m. - Jazz Concho, a local jazz band led by keyboardist John Talley.
- 8:20 p.m. - San Angelo Community Band. The band will perform a number of patriotic songs culminating with the 1812 Overture. During the Overture, the fireworks will commence.
- 9:20 p.m. - First firing of the Fort Concho cannons, beginning the Largest Fireworks Display in San Angelo’s History. The fireworks will be fired from the Celebration Bridge behind the River Stage.
- 9:20 p.m. - Fireworks Show.
- 10:00 p.m. - West Texas Funk. The after-party will feature the contemporary hits of West Texas Funk, the flashiest 8-piece band — including a sax! — in San Angelo. Led by lead vocalist Tammy Merwin, the band performs the greatest hits of the past few decades. The party lasts until 11:30 p.m. at the River Stage.
Uber or Lyft are great options because the parking situation downtown will be crowded. VIP parking is at the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts and south. Avenue A, Avenue B, and Hardeman Pass will be blocked off for VIP parking. General parking is available further south at the Paseo and at the Farmer’s Market after the car show ends at 2 p.m.
The Oakes Street Bridge is under construction and closed. Celebration Bridge is closed. To cross between Neff’s Park and the River Stage area you will have to traverse the Chadbourne Street Bridge.
Proceeds to the fireworks show benefit Downtown San Angelo, Inc. and the various non-profit organizations connected with the show, to include the San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts and the City of San Angelo Recreation Department. This year, there is a salute to first responders and veterans on the floor in front of the River Stage during the Sonny Cleere Memorial Ice Cream Party. VIP tickets are sold out.