SAN ANGELO, TX – Angelo State University's newly-revived Opera Musical Theatre Workshop will present two public performances for the spring semester on Thursday, April 20, at First Presbyterian Church - and on Tuesday, April 25, in ASU's Elta Joyce Murphey Auditorium.
Both performances will begin at 7 p.m. and are free and open to the public. First Presbyterian Church is located at 32 N. Irving St. in downtown San Angelo. The Elta Joyce Murphey Auditorium is located inside the ASU Mayer Administration Building at 2601 W. Ave. N.
Titled "A Night at the Opera," each performance will showcase the vocal talents of ASU music/voice majors, who will be accompanied on piano by ASU staff accompanist Hunter Mabery.
The musical program will include staged selections from multiple well-known operas, including:
- "Don Giovanni" and "The Magic Flute" by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- "La Serva Padrona" by Giovanni Battista Pergolesi
- "The Pearl Fishers" by Georges Bizet
- "Hamlet" by Ambroise Thomas
- "Werther" by Jules Massenet
- "Luisa Miller" by Giuseppe Verdi
Directed by Dr. Mark Covey of the ASU music faculty, these will be the Opera Musical Theatre Workshop's first public performances since the fall of 2013.