Ector County ISD Announces First Ever Recipients of Memorial Scholarship Fund
ODESSA, TX – Nearly one year after the tragic shooting of August 31st, Ector County ISD announced the first-ever recipients of the Memorial Scholarship Fund.
According to CBS7, the fund was created in November to honor students, staff, and friends of the district after the mass shooting.
The school district stated that the scholarships would not be given the name of any person in particular person, but Odessa High School and Permian High School wrote their guidelines to align with and honor Leilah Hernandez and Joe Griffith.
The following students were the recipients of this year’s scholarships:
- Oliver Martin of G.H.W.B. New Tech Odessa will attend the Southwest School of Art
- Juandedios Mendoza III of Odessa Collegiate Academy will attend Abilene Christian University
- Luke Hughes of O.C.T.E.C.H.S. will attend Odessa College
- Raul Nevarez of Odessa High School will attend University of Texas
- Samatha Delgado-Vasquez of Permian High School will Univiersity of Texas Permian Basin
For students to be considered they needed to be seniors, have a minimum GPA of 2.5, and plan to attend a 2 or 4-year institution or a technical institution to gain industry certification.
The Education Foundation of Odessa made a $10,000 donation to the scholarship fund.
Recommended for You
Get more stories like this by signing up for our daily newsletter, The LIVE! Daily.