SAN ANGELO, TX – Law enforcement across San Angelo have sent out Halloween safety tips ahead of the big weekend and holiday.
With Halloween being next Tuesday, tons of Halloween events will be going on all weekend. The San Angelo Police say they want you to prioritize safety this Halloween when carving pumpkins, decorating, dressing up in costumes, and trick-or-treating. The PD then gave out the following tips.
- Stay visible by utilizing a flashlight, glowstick, or by incorporating reflective material into your costume.
- Walk on the correct side of the roadway (walking against the flow of traffic) and utilize sidewalks when applicable.
- Trick or treat in groups with at least one adult present.
- Only go to homes that are being visited by other trick-or-treaters and have their outside lights on.
- Allow an adult to look over your candy before consuming it.
- Attend local "Trunk or Treats" as they tend to take place in areas where vehicle traffic is restricted, and children can trick or treat safely.
- As a reminder, the City does not designate a time for people to go trick-or-treating; that is up to each individual and/or family.
For those out in the County, the Tom Green County Sheriff's Office Sheriff Hanna wants to remind you to prioritize safety this Halloween when carving pumpkins, decorating, dressing up in costumes, and trick-or-treating.
- Leave pumpkin carving to the adults. Child helpers can grab a spoon and scoop out the inside or use a marker to trace the design.
- Battery-operated lights or glow sticks are recommended for decorations and are the safest option.
- Use a ladder when hanging or removing decorations, and only use lights tested for safety by a recognized testing laboratory.
- Wear a costume that fits and avoid overly long or baggy costumes to prevent trips and falls.
"Halloween can be a safe and enjoyable evening for all with some preparation, communication, and diligence," said Tom Green County Sheriff Nick Hanna. "Of course, we will be on patrol and available to you and your children if you need us. As always, dial 911 in case of an emergency."
San Angelo LIVE! and the Bass Bunch will be hosting a trunk or treat for children with special needs on Oct. 26, 2023. For more Halloween events, click here.