HOUSTON - The armed & dangerous illegal immigrant from Mexico who gunned down 5 migrants in east Texas has been found and arrested.
Yahoo News is reporting that less than an hour after an anonymous tipster came forward on Tuesday, law enforcement officials apprehended Francisco Oropesa, the fugitive believed to have gunned down five people in a cold-blooded massacre last week, according to authorities.
Oropesa, 38, was “caught hiding in a closet underneath some laundry,” according to San Jacinto County Sheriff Greg Capers, who labeled him a “coward” in an evening news conference.
He was found in a private home in Summer Hollow, just east of the tiny Texas city of Cut and Shoot, officials said. Local media reported that the residence belonged to Oropesa’s aunt.
In addition to accused gunman Francisco Oropesa, fewer than five others have been arrested, Chief Deputy Tim Kean of the San Jacinto County Sheriff’s Office said. “But I can’t go into the details.”
Oropesa is awaiting a bond hearing Wednesday.
Oropesa is accused of fatally shooting five people Friday after he was asked to stop firing his rifle outdoors near his neighbor’s home. Wilson Garcia, whose wife and son were killed, and two others had asked Oropesa to shoot on the other side of his property because the gunfire was waking Garcia’s baby, he told CNN. The suspect refused and soon unleashed gunfire into the home where Garcia’s family was gathered, he said.