DETAILS: The Standoff with Bubba at the Cactus Trailer Park


SAN ANGELO, TX – The stand-off with Bubba at the Cactus Trailer Park ended peacefully on Wednesday despite shots being fired. 

According to court documents, on August 12, a grand jury for the Northern District of Texas' Federal Courts indicted Dusty "Bubba" Large, 47, for Possession with Intent to Distribute Methamphetamine, Possession of a Firearm in Furtherance of a Drug Trafficking Crime, and Convicted Felon In Possession of a Firearm and Ammunition. 

The following day a warrant was issued by the FBI for the capture of Large due to him being dangerous and a flight risk. The warrant states that Large needs to be arrested for the safety of the community. 

A month went by and Large was no where to be found. That was until deputies with the Tom Green County Sheriff's Office went to the Cactus Lane Trailer Park. On September 15 at 3:16 p.m., deputies attempted to serve the warrant at a trailer in the park. Inside of the trailer was Large, a woman, and her children. Witnesses on scene heard the woman tell deputies that after they knocked on the door Large told her not to answer it while holding a CO2 BB Gun that looked like an AR-15. She chose to leave the trailer for the safety of her children. 

At around 3:30 p.m. a deputy with the TGCSO came over the scanner yelling "Shots Fired" multiple times. Scanner reports indicated that the shots were from a shot gun. Later the TGCSO explained that a deputy had fired a weapon after Large "brandished a firearm in a threatening manner toward the deputies."

[[{"fid":"75168","view_mode":"wysiwyg","fields":{"format":"wysiwyg"},"type":"media","field_deltas":{"1":{"format":"wysiwyg"}},"attributes":{"class":"media-element file-wysiwyg","data-delta":"1"}}]]

At that point the majority of deputies in the county, even Chief Deputy Sheriff Nick Hanna, were dispatched to the area and a standoff began. Also dispatched to the trailer park were a number of DPS Troopers, SAPD SWAT, and Texas Game Wardens. 

Authorities continued to contact Large who had barricaded himself inside of the single wide trailer. Witness on scene claim they heard the woman who was in the home tell police that "he comes and goes here but doesn't have a cell phone." She told deputies that his main source of communication was through Facebook. 

After hours of negotiations with long rifles pointed at the house, at 6:55 p.m., Large decided to come out of the home. He was then arrested without struggle and was taken to the Tom Green County Jail.

On top of the FBI warrants, Large managed to get another charge for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon on a public servant. He was also out on bond for possession of a controlled substance. His bond has not been set at this time. 

Large will now be heading to Lubbock to face federal charges.

Subscribe to the LIVE! Daily

The LIVE! Daily is the "newspaper to your email" for San Angelo. Each content-packed edition has weather, the popular Top of the Email opinion and rumor mill column, news around the state of Texas, news around west Texas, the latest news stories from San Angelo LIVE!, events, and the most recent obituaries. The bottom of the email contains the most recent rants and comments. The LIVE! daily is emailed 5 days per week. On Sundays, subscribers receive the West Texas Real Estate LIVE! email.


Most Recent Original Videos



Za, Wed, 09/16/2020 - 12:52

This story should include her charges as well.
I hope CPS can find those kiddos a safe home where dangerous fugitives are not allowed to come and go.

Post a comment to this article here:

X Close