11 Pets Killed in Runnels County House Fire
WINGATE, TX-- A fire left a family homeless and killed 11 pets last Friday morning in the rural community of Wingate in northwestern Runnels County.
Wingate Fire and Rescue said the Moro Volunteer Fire Department responded before calling for Wingate, Winters Volunteer Fire Department, Taylor County Sheriff's and South Taylor EMS.
The house on County Road 209, belonging to Darrell and Jackie Clements, is a total loss, according to Wingate. The family made it out safely.
KTXS spoke with their son, Charlie, who said a space heater in the greenhouse attached to the house is the expected cause.
Charlie had been living there with his son, but was in Abilene for the night, KTXS reported.
A fund has been set up through Build God's House in Wingate. Anyone looking to donate can call John Pierik at 214-534-9265.