SAN ANGELO, TX — Friday afternoon, the Grape Creek Volunteer Fire department battled a 12-acre-large grass fire. The volunteers were able to get the fire under control before it spread through the damp vegetation. The calmer June winds helped, but the fire was quickly moving towards a grouping of five residential properties. Firefighters saved all but one residence. An unoccupied mobile home with an old vehicle in the yard was destroyed.
The cause of the fire in the 6400 block of Grape Creek Rd. remains under investigation. The call for service happened at 2:40 p.m. Friday.
The Quail Valley VFD, Carlsbad VFD, and the Texas and U.S. Forest Service assisted in battling the fire. The quick reaction by all saved at least 12 structures and multiple vehicles from the small inferno.
The area had experienced rainfall the night before but the morning and afternoon heat had evaporated most of the moisture.
The summer heat causes conditions where fires like this can erupt and a county-wide burn ban has been in effect in Tom Green County since June 9. Citizens are urged to report illegal, unsafe or unattended burning to the sheriff.