The SAFE Recycling Center is hosting a trio of fall cleaning events in November, none of which involve a cost to the public.
SAFE (San Angelo Friends of the Environment) hosts the 9th Annual Texas Recyles Day on Nov. 13-14.
Friday, Nov. 13, will be devoted to collecting electronics. From noon to 5 p.m. in the Foster Field parking lot, 1600 University Ave. on the Angelo State University campus, the public can drop off virtually any electronic that can be recycled. That includes TVs, computers, notebooks, fax machines, copiers, cell phones, scanners, printers, monitors, servers, phone systems, software, audio equipment, electric keyboards and electronic components.
On Saturday, Nov. 14, SAFE will collect electronics, appliances, metal dishwashers, hot water heaters and microwaves from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at its recycling center at 702 Warehouse Road. Residential yard brush may also be dropped off for chipping. Secured document shredding will occur from 9 a.m.-noon.
On Saturday, Nov. 21, SAFE will collect hazardous household from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at its Warehouse Road location. Among the items that will be accepted are:
- Acids, drain and oven cleaners.
- Antifreeze, gasoline, diesel, brake fluids, transmission fluids, oil and oil filters.
- Paints, thinners, metal polishes and solvents and degreasers
- Lawn and garden chemicals, such as fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides.
- Poisons such as rodent killers.
- Pool chemicals.
- Aerosol cans, including inhalers.
- Household cleaning products.
- Propane tanks, such as for small grills and camping cookers.
- Mercury, as is found in older thermometers.
Items that won’t be accepted include:
- Containers that are not clearly labeled specifying the contents or are larger than five gallons.
- Biologically active substances and radioactive or reactive materials.
- Smoke detectors and extinguishers.
- Products containing dioxins or 2-4-5T.
- Waste generated by business or industry.
- Explosives, fireworks or ammunition.
- Electronics and appliances.
- Construction or yard waste.
The efforts are co-sponsored by the City of San Angelo. For more information, call SAFE at 325-659-0722 or visit saferecycle.netfirms.com.