San Angelo Police Department: Stay Safe on New Year's EvePress Release
SAN ANGELO, TX-- The San Angelo Police Department has some tips on how to stay safe during the New Years Eve celebration.
New Years Eve is one of the most dangerous holidays of the year as many people celebrate the accomplishments of the previous year or toast to dreams that are yet to come.
This leads to one of the most dangerous times to be on the road all year long. From 6:00 p.m to 6:00 a.m the numbers on drunk driving accidents, and tickets are almost double.
The best way to avoid the danger is to stay clear of the roads, especially parts of town where a lot of people will be celebrating such as downtown.
If your celebrations this year will include alcohol, follow these tips to ensure you have a safe start to 2019:
- Make a plan ahead of time. Don't wait until you've started drinking to figure out how you're going to get home.
- Never get in the car with a driver who has been drinking. Even one alcoholic beverage can impair his or her ability to drive safely.
- Make sure friends and family who celebrate with you have a safe ride home, or invite them to sleep on your couch or spare bed.
- Plan to call a taxi or use a ride-sharing service such as Uber or Lyft to help you get home safely.
- If you wake up early on New Year’s Day after consuming too many adult beverages the night before, be aware that you could still be legally intoxicated. Don’t drive until enough time has passed that you’re sober.
- If you witness a driver who you suspect may be driving under the influence, pull over to a safe place and call 9-1-1.
Get more stories like this by signing up for our daily newsletter, The LIVE! Daily.