Man Charged with Murder in Case of Eric Torrez
SAN ANGELO, TX — Tom Green County jail logs indicate that Stephen Lynn Jennings is charged with murder. Speculation swirled around town today that an arrest for murder was imminent. By 4 p.m., no word of new charge was visible online. Some time after 4 p.m., the murder charge appeared on electronic records,
Jennings’ murder charges stem from the July 21 disappearance of Eric Torrez, who was reported missing after leaving the Abilene area for San Angelo. The Sheriff suspected foul play. Last Friday, the Sheriff found Torrez’s body in a pasture eight miles south of Barnhart.
He reported that the autopsy was completed Monday by late afternoon.
Torrez went missing July 21 from Abilene in what previous reporting suggests was a dispute with his ex-wife. His body was discovered in a pasture 8 miles south of Barnhart Friday. The Sheriff has three in custody while the investigation continues, including Torrez's ex-wife, Kristen Jennings, who is held in the Taylor County Jail on charges of breaking and entering with intent to commit another felony. Stephen Lynn Jennings, Kristin Jennings' current husband, and Gary Lynn Jennings, Stephen's father, are being held for the offense of tamper or fabricate with physical evidence with intent to impair.
The timeline of stories on the disappearance of Eric Torrez:
- Missing Abilene Man Headed Towards San Angelo, Possibly in Danger - 7/26/2017
- Abilene Man Missing Since Friday May Be Victim of Foul Play - 7/27/2017
- Sheriff: Missing Man Eric Torrez Victim of Homicide - 7/28/2017
- UPDATE: Ex-Wife of Missing Abilene Man Transferred to Abilene Jail - 7/29/2017
- Prayer Vigil for Eric Torrez to be Held Tonight - 8/2/2017
- Sheriff Finds Body of Eric Torrez - 8/4/2017