Three VFDs Prevent Veribest Home From Catching on Fire
VERIBEST, TEXAS -- A backyard storage shed caught on fire just before 7 p.m. this evening in Veribest. The shed was located behind a house on E. Veribest Rd. and N. Veribest Rd. just north of the Veribest High School stadium.
Chief Thompson from then East Concho Volunteer Fire Department confirmed that Mereta and Wall VFD's saved the house from any serious damage by stopping the shed's flames from reaching the structure. The East Concho VFD brought a larger water truck on stand-by in case it was needed to assist with the fire.
Joe Hyde was the reporter on scene and confirmed the damage to the house was minimal, however, it had visible smoke damage on the south-west corner where the shed was located.
The owner of the hose recalled what happened before and during the fire.
The owner just had surgery and was sitting inside the house nursing her foot, with her legs propped up. The owner was unaware the fire started, however, her neighbor saw the flames and called 911.
Mereta VFD quickly responded and attacked the shed, which was by then fully engulfed in flames.
"They saved my home. I thank God for my neighbors and guys like them who saved my home," the owner said.
After the fire was out, the owner was seen sitting in her neighbor's SUV as Wall, East Concho and Mereta VFD's mopped up the fire scene. The woman was holding her pet schnauzer, alive and safe.