Drive-By Shooters Indicted on Capital Murder of Two San Angelo Teens
The grand jury met for one day this month on June 24, and only three people were indicted. However, for the families of 17-year-old Juan Guerrero and 16-year-old Zane Lopez, these indictments couldn’t come soon enough.
Erick Ramos, 18, Gilberto Salvador Reyes, 18, and Fred Angel Garcia, 17, were indicted for Capital Murder of Multiple Persons.
On March 26, 2016, these three individuals were a part of a drive-by shooting at Zane Lopez’s home in north San Angelo. Both Guerrero and Lopez died of gunshot wounds to the head. Guerrero died at the scene, and Lopez died on March 31. A total of seven people were arrested for the crime.
According to court documents, San Angelo Police Detective Kelly Lajoie said she had good reason to believe, on that day, Ramos, Reyes and Garcia “intentionally and knowingly caused the death of both Guerrero and Lopez during “the same criminal transaction.”
In a Mirandized audio/video recorded statement, Detective Castro and Detective Dye with SAPD interviewed the three teenagers. In his interview, Ramos told the detectives of his involvement as the driver of the vehicle. He stated that he was aware of the plan to shoot at Lopez’s residence in the 1100 block of East 22nd St.
“Ramos stated that he drove the vehicle into the alley behind the residence, stopped the vehicle, [and] passengers got out of the vehicle; Ramos heard shots fired; passengers got back into the vehicle and Ramos drove all the passengers away from the scene,” said the complaint.
In his interview, Reyes confirmed the guns that had been used in the homicide and said he had “taken possession of the guns and had concealed the guns from police.”
In a previous interview with one of the juveniles arrested, referred to as Juvenile #1, the teenager told Detective Dye that Reyes had given “the green light” on Lopez, which means that permission had been given to kill the targeted subject.
As for the person who pulled the trigger, Garcia told the detectives that he was a passenger in the vehicle who shot a black .40 caliber handgun toward Lopez’s residence. He admitted that he knew of the plan to shoot at the house.
In two other pending capital murder cases, the District Attorney’s Office will be seeking the death penalty; however, that has not been announced yet for this case.