Big Bend Announces Re-Opening Schedule After Partial Federal Government Shutdown
BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK, TX – The Brewster County Tourism Council and Visit Big Bend are pleased to announce that the partial government shutdown effecting Big Bend National Park has ended and operations are scheduled to return to normal in phases over the next several days.
Here is the re-opening schedule:
- Sunday, January 27
- 8 a.m.: Persimmon Gap Entrance Station Noon: Panther Junction Visitor Center (Bookstore will be open at 9 a.m.)
- Noon: Chisos Basin Visitor Center
- Monday, January 28
- 8 a.m.: NPS Business Office (Panther Junction Headquarters)
- 9 a.m.: Rio Grande Village Visitor Center
- 10 a.m.: Castolon Visitor Center
- 10 a.m.: Persimmon Gap Visitor Center
- Tuesday, January 29 Noon:
- Chisos Basin, Cottonwood, and Rio Grande Village Campgrounds. - First night for backcountry camping permits. - Permits available from Panther Junction and Chisos Basin Visitor Centers.
- Wednesday, January 30
- 8 a.m.: Boquillas Crossing Port of Entry Opens.
- Chisos Basin, Rio Grande Village, and Cottonwood Campgrounds remain closed until Tuesday, 1/29.
- There is NO OVERNIGHT CAMPING in Big Bend National Park at this time. There is one exception: The Rio Grande Village RV hookups camping area, operated by Forever Resorts remains open.
- Permits are required for ALL backcountry camping. Backcountry Permits will be issued starting Monday, 1/28, for trips beginning Tuesday (24 hours in advance of first night).
- Concessions Operations The Chisos Mountains Lodge operated by Forever Resorts is open.
- The Rio Grande Village RV hookups camping area, operated by Forever Resorts is open.
- Camper stores at the Chisos Basin, Panther Junction, Rio Grande Village, and Castolon are open.
- Service Stations at Panther Junction and Rio Grande Village are open.
Recommended for You
Get more stories like this by signing up for our daily newsletter, The LIVE! Daily.