San Angelo Community Band 30th Anniversary Concert
The San Angelo Community Band (SACB), under the direction of Dr. Constance Kelley of the Angelo State University music faculty, will celebrate its 30th anniversary with a free public concert on Monday, June 24, at 7 p.m. at Sierra Vista United Methodist Church, 4522 College Hills Blvd.
The SACB includes more than 50 local and area musicians, including ASU students and faculty and community members. The 30th anniversary concert will also feature three guest conductors:
Harris Brinson – SACB director from 1989-2003, ASU Professor Emeritus, former ASU director of bands
David Scott – SACB director from 2003-12, former ASU director of bands and head of the Department of Art and Music, currently a music professor and associate dean at Texas A&M University-Commerce
Daniel McCloud – SACB director in 2012-13, former ASU director of bands, currently director of university bands at Methodist University in North Carolina
The musical program for the 30th anniversary concert will include:
- “Also Sprach Zarathustra” by Richard Strauss
- “American Salute” by Morton Gould
- “Serenata,” “Syncopated Clock” and “Rakes of Mallow” by LeRoy Anderson
- “Serenade for a Picket Fence” by Norman Leyden, featuring Daniel McCloud on percussion
- “Canterbury Chorale” by Jan Van der Roost
- “Pearl of the Concho” by Daniel McCloud
- “Stars and Stripes Forever” by John Philip Sousa
The San Angelo Community Band made its debut with a concert at the San Angelo RiverStage on May 30, 1989. SACB is a nonprofit organization sponsored by the City of San Angelo Parks and Recreation Department and is funded completely by donations.