BROWNWOOD, TX –– Just weeks after Fischer County voted to enact a juvenile curfew, the City of Brownwood is doing the same.
According to officials, the nightly curfew will go into effect at 11:00 p.m. on weekdays and end at 6:00 a.m. the following morning.
On Saturdays and Sundays, the curfew will begin at 12:01 a.m. and run until 6:00 a.m.
Juveniles who violate the curfew will be committing a Class C misdemeanor. The parents of the juvenile will also be found guilty of a misdemeanor and be fined anywhere between $50 and $200.
Several exceptions will be allowed for juveniles to be out after curfew, they include:
- being with a parent or guardian, running an errand for a parent or guardian
- interstate traveling
- commuting to and from employment
- involved in an emergency
- abutting a minor's residence
- attending a community activity
- exercising First Amendment rights
- married or had disabilities of minority in accordance with the Texas Family Code
After 14 months, the curfew will go under review for elongation or abolishment.