SAN ANGELO, TX – The Tom Green County Sheriff's Office and TxDot partnered up this month to help remind people to buckle up while in the car.
According to the Tom Green County Sheriff's Office, on Dec. 2, the Tom Green County Sheriff's Office in partnership with Texas Department of Transportation, November 2020 Click It or Ticket campaign had the following results.
Deputies worked 133 hours of extra patrol and conducted 349 traffic stops, in fourteen days. Deputies issued 24 citations for no seat belts, 6 citations for speeding, and 35 citations for other traffic violations. Deputies also issued 324 warnings during these traffic stops.
Here are some seatbelt safety facts from the CDC:
- Most drivers and passengers killed in crashes are unrestrained. 53% of drivers and passengers killed in car crashes in 2009 were not wearing restraints.1
- Seat belts dramatically reduce risk of death and serious injury. Among drivers and front-seat passengers, seat belts reduce the risk of death by 45%, and cut the risk of serious injury by 50%.4
- Seat belts prevent drivers and passengers from being ejected during a crash. People not wearing a seat belt are 30 times more likely to be ejected from a vehicle during a crash. More than 3 out of 4 people who are ejected during a fatal crash die from their injuries.5
- Seat belts save thousands of lives each year, and increasing use would save thousands more. Seat belts saved almost 13,000 lives in 2009. If all drivers and passengers had worn seat belts that year, almost 4,000 more people would be alive today.6
- In one year alone, crash deaths and injuries to drivers and passengers cost $70 billion in medical and lost work costs.7