Travel Trailer Ignites from Overloaded Power Cord, Family Dog Dead
SAN ANGELO, TX—A structure fire at around 10 a.m. Monday injured at least two for smoke inhalation. The dark, black smoke could be seen from 1415 Martin St. on San Angelo’s north side from miles around.
The fire was in a travel trailer parked at a residence and it was completely destroyed in the fire. There were at least two asleep inside the trailer when the fire broke out but all managed to escape before flames engulfed the trailer. Unfortunately, a dog died in the fire.
Joanna Jackson, Fire Investigator for the City of San Angelo, said the cause of the fire was electrical. An extension cord was plugged into an outside outlet of the home and was supplying electricity to the trailer parked outside, Jackson said. The amperage being drawn overheated the electrical wiring on the trailer’s side and ignited the fire. On the house, the breaker eventually tripped, saving the home from possible fire damage.
Jackson did not speculate on what device was drawing excessive amps, but did stress there was no space heater involved.
Jackson said City Ordinance prohibits long term parking of RVs or travel trailers on lots in residential neighborhoods. Although they are allowed temporarily to be positioned at one’s home within the city limits. She said the people occupying the trailer were visiting for the holidays.
The occupants were treated for smoke inhalation and heat, and then released by medics at the scene.
Jackson said the travel trailer was a total loss. The family is researching insurance coverage.