City Council Set to Vote to Retain Same Appraisal Board that Raised Property Values in 2017
SAN ANGELO, TX -- San Angelo City Council members on Tuesday are poised to nominate the same five appraisal board members who were partially responsible for skyrocketing property appraisals in Tom Green County this year.
According to the agenda for Tuesday’s council meeting, “Appraisal district board members serve 2-year terms. The current terms of the five board members expire on December 31, 2017. The Council may nominate one candidate for each of the five positions. Per Mr. Benson, TGC Appraisal District Chief Appraiser, all five of the current Directors have expressed their willingness to serve another term if elected. Current members of the Board of Directors are: John Begnaud, John Conn, Russell DeVore, Louis Gomez, and Bob Reeves.”
Appraisal districts in Texas are required to assess property values within five percent of the Texas Comptroller's estimated property value each biennium. Property taxes in Texas are driven by state mandated public school funding. The Texas legislature adopts a budget every two years and mandates how most funds for schools, cities and counties are allocated.
The city has 26.17 percent of the votes for appraisal board members. Since Tom Green County has already cast their 22.35 percent of the votes for the same board members and the San Angelo Independent School District in September approved a resolution supporting the same board members, they will have 89.11 percent of the allocated votes and will serve for two more years starting January 1.
The San Angelo ISD has the most votes 40.59 percent because it levys the most property tax. The City, the County and the San Angelo ISD combined have 89.11 percent of the votes for appraisal board members. The remaining 10.89 percent of votes come from the school districts in Christoval, Miles, Grape Creek, Veribest, Water Valley, and Wall.
In other business, the city council is set to award the bid to build a new fire station to Mid-Tex out of Midland in the amount of $3,214,200. The project is budgeted for FY18 and is constructing a new Station #4 replacing the current fire station located in the 700 block of E. Ave. L.
The San Angelo City Council meets at 8:30 Tuesday morning in council chambers at the McNease convention center.