Get Ready for the RiverFest 2017 this Weekend
The All American Chevrolet 2017 River Fest returns to the banks of the Concho River on Saturday, Sept. 16, with a new feature: the Wacky Rad River Race. The daylong festival will also feature a washer-pitching tournament, a river raft race, canoeing and kayaking, and a kids court teeming with inflatable bounce houses.
Many River Fest activities are free. Wristbands that grant unlimited access to the Kids Court will cost $5.
The Wacky Rad River Race is a run with a twist. The 5K race course will have 15 stations at which teams of two will either complete a skills challenge or answer a knowledge-based question to move on to the next obstacle. The goal is to successfully finish as many obstacles in the shortest time while completing the course.
The race begins at 8:30 a.m. at Celebration Bridge. If teams cannot complete a task, a penalty will be added to their completed time. Winners will have completed the most challenges and finished in the shortest time. All competitors must be back across the finish line by 10:30 a.m.
Racers will also be clad in wacky attire – their first obstacle. If they are not dressed in wacky fashions, they will be assessed a time penalty before moving to the next challenge.
Registration is $10 per team. Teams may register at the race beginning at 7:15 a.m.; from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays at Santa Fe Crossing, 702 S. Chadbourne St., by Sept. 15; or at teamsideline.com/sanangelo by noon Sept. 15.
Among other River Fest offerings will be a six-on-six volleyball tournament, a three-player scramble at Santa Fe Golf Course, and a barbecue cook-off on the Fort Concho grounds. The lineup includes:
- 8:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m. – Wacky Rad River Race. Celebration Bridge.
- 10 a.m.-noon – Three-player scramble golf tournament, Santa Fe Golf Course. Registration is $25 per player at the course’s clubhouse at 111W. Veterans Memorial Drive (formerly River Drive).
- 10 a.m.-2 p.m. – Six-on-six sand volleyball tournament at The Bosque. The teams will be coed with a minimum of two males and two females on the sand at all times. The cost is $10 per player paid on the day of the event. Registration will be courtside from 9 a.m.-9:30 a.m. Sept. 16, and will be limited to six teams. Play begins at 10 a.m., with cash prizes awarded by San Angelo Host.
- 10 a.m.-7 p.m. – Kids Court, featuring a petting zoo, pony rides, bounce houses and a sand-digging area in the Neff’s area. Unlimited access bracelets will be available for $5.
- 10 a.m.-7 p.m. – Concessions and vendors in the Neff’s area.
- 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.-7 p.m. – Grogan’s Canoes and Kayaks at Celebration Bridge. The $5 wristband for the Kids Court includes these and paddleboat rides.
- 11 a.m.-noon – Free kids washer-pitching at The Bosque.
- 11 a.m.-6 p.m. – Kids flag football games in the Neff’s area.
- 11 a.m.-7 p.m. – International Barbecue Cookers Association cook-off on the Fort Concho grounds.
- Noon-7 p.m. – Live music presented by BackBeat Music Co. on the Chadbourne Stage under the Chadbourne Street bridge.
- 1 p.m.-3 p.m. – KIXY River Raft Race on the Concho River. For more information, call Foster Communications at 325-949-3333.
- 1 p.m.-7 p.m. – Vega washer-pitching tournament in the games court in The Bosque. Registration is $40 per team. For more information, visit the Vega Washer Pitching Facebook page.
The schedule could change because of weather. Look for updates on the City of San Angelo-Public Information Facebook page.
This is the fourth annual River Fest. The first event celebrated the 100th anniversary of Santa Fe Park and the improvements to the Concho River downtown. This year’s fest celebrates a new title sponsor, All American Chevrolet.
For more information, go to cosatx.us/riverfest.