Tom Green County Sheriff’s Office Issues Special Crime Alert on Storage Unit Burglaries
SAN ANGELO, TX – The Tom Green County Sheriff’s Office issued a Community Crime Alert due to the high number of burglaries to rental units at self-storage facilities throughout the county particularly in the southeast area.
The Sheriff’s Office continuously responds to this type of offense. Entry into the storage units has primarily been made by cutting locks attached to the storage unit doors.
The Sheriff’s Office offers several recommendations to renters:
- Choose a facility that has an access control system and video surveillance system which can record thus preventing such burglaries. Access control system requires renters to to use individual codes, remotes, or enter the facility. Self-storage managers can review records to see who is using the facility at all times, making it harder for thieves to enter.
- If you have high-value items that you are storing, place those items in the back of your unit. Placing these Items in hard to reach places will make it more difficult for thieves who are quickly grabbing items.
- Choose a lock that will hold up against bolt cutters. Avoid using a lock with a long shackle (the loop that passes through or around the object that you are locking). Purchase a disc or cylinder lock, both of which are hard to cut with bolt cutters.
- Have items insured through home owner’s insurance, or see if the facility offers insurance.
- Avoid going to your storage unit in the early morning or late evening hours or other-wise off peak hours. Take someone with you whenever possible, there is safety in numbers.
- Keep a complete inventory of everything you are storing. Take photos of the items inside your storage unit.
- Check items frequently, do not leave them unchecked for long periods of time. Perhaps check your unit when you are making your monthly payment.
Be sure to give the manager a list of people who are allowed access to your unit. If you see something that is suspicious, it probably is. Be involved and report it.
Any person or persons with information concerning these crimes or any other crimes are encouraged to contact the Sheriff’s Office either by phone, 325-655-8111, or the webpage at http://www.tomgreencountysheriff.org.